Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Still In the Dark pt. 4


When my brother and I finally made it to our home, it became apparent to me that he was not familiar with our home, because it was not the one he had visited in times past. I considered it a privilege to walk my brother around and show him how to maneuver his way throughout the house.  It required me to walk him around the kitchen, telling him where the refrigerator was, and allowing him to feel it. I would also let him walk along the wall to feel the entryways to different rooms.

We made our way through the kitchen, living room, downstairs to the basement, and even upstairs to the room that was now his. We repeated these steps numerous times, until we both felt like he was ready. Then the day I will never forget.

After walking downstairs, I remembered hearing my brother’s voice saying, “who is that” over and over again. Once I made it downstairs, I was surprised to see that my brother had lost his way, and his sense of direction. While he desired to go downstairs to the basement, he was lost in the middle of my living room, and reaching “blindly” for anything he could find.  

As I consider it now, tears still fill my eyes, because I hated the sight of seeing someone I LOVED SO MUCH, BLIND!

John 1:5 says, “darkness has not understood the light,” and when it’s dark, we can’t either.

No matter how much we think we know, God will puts us in foreign places, to see if we will rely upon his instructions, or will you rely upon on own instructions instead.

My message to the blind:

-carefully consider God’s instructions for your life.

-when unsure of the direction you are suppose to go STAY PUT.

-going through life with no direction, will lead to you bumping into something or maybe falling.

My message to those who lead the blind:

-growing comfortable with your loved ones living in the dark, is unacceptable

-repetitive instructions are the eyes for the blind.

-be watchful of ways of those you instruct, so they don’t hurt themselves.

-don't expect someone to know your voice when they are in a state of confusion.

-HAVE AN APPRECIATION FOR THOSE WHO ARE BLIND, BECAUSE YOU WERE ONCE BLIND.

-BE THANKFUL for those who give you instructions and directions.

Be Blessed! 

1 comment:

Hazuki *J* said...

Hi Darryl,
I was led to your blog through Facebook. Thank you for sharing this. It was really touching. I hope you and your family are doing well.