Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Still In The Dark"

The darkness could not comprehend the light. John 1:5

As I took a run this morning before daybreak, I found myself jogging in an area that was dimly lit. Parts of the path, although having no light, allowed for a semi-visible perspective on what way I should go. In other words, “although it was dark, I still could see.”  “I could navigate my way through darkness.” 

The sensory gift, impacted the most by darkness is, the ability to SEE.  We can feel, smell, taste and touch, in the dark; but the ability to see in the dark is severely deprived. The world we live in relies heavily on ones ability to see.  Visual components enhance learning, living, and loving.  Our eyes truly are the “GATEWAY TO THE SOUL.”

It deserves mentioning that, “darkness does not always negate our ability to see.”  In fact darkness tends to reduce (not diminish) our ability to see clearly. A powerful tool of the enemy is “semi-darkness.” Semi-darkness occurs when there are places (things and decisions) in our lives that we think we see correctly, but in fact, our vision is impaired. We see enough to THINK we know which way to go, even though “we can’t see further than our next step!”

As people we need to understand some important components of the dark:

1. The main adversary to ones ability to see is the dark

2. Darkness complements darkness (a lot of dark things are created in the dark)

3. Many learn to adjust to the darkness (nocturnal species have larger eyes, and stronger sensory abilities that are not associated with seeing)

As we go through our lives we have to be honest with ourselves and answer some questions:

1.     God what are the things in my life that are impairing my vision?

2.     Have I become accustom to living in the dark, or what has allowed me to feel so comfortable with living in the dark?

3.     Do I really want to see?

I must say that the jogging path I took today, was a new one.  I was unfamiliar with the course, because I had never run it before. If I had been familiar with the course I’m sure I would have run faster, because I would have known my way.  God has a way of running us on paths that we are unfamiliar with; so it is important to remember that it is never safe to run your life’s course, “still in the dark.”

I desire your honest thoughts and comments, so please reply.  I would like to use this devotional as a part of my upcoming sermon so please dialogue with God and yourself on this manner and post your comments.  I plan on using your quotes in my sermon.

Blessings,

 

Ps. Darryl

1 comment:

USA Pray said...

Good Stuff, I run in the dark all the time and constantly wonder about the nature of the night and the scripture that during nighttime "darkness rules the earth." There definitely is beauty in the night, and God definitely created a "lesser light" to "rule" the darkness. During a full moon, after my eyes adjust, it really isn't that hard to see so much detail in your surroundings. Spiritual darkness is much more profound, since even in our most spiritually enlightened state we can't see clearly yet (per scripture). I'm finding the spiritually dark currents of our society are particularly strong. Especially with the number of Christians voting for the abortion, homosexuality, entitlement positions of Obama. These dark roots are very strong. I think that God's great plan for us to know Him involves both the spiritual experience of prayer and fasting, and the natural experience of studying His Bible and recieving teaching. Skip one or the other and the devil is waiting at the door.


Kcrank