Sunday, August 24, 2008

He chose you!

Many times in life I’ve had the privilege to be around some of the greatest athletes in the world. And because of that, I have become a self proclaimed expert judge of talent.  From  Saturday neighborhood sporting activities to professional sports; my eyes are always peering the fields, courts, gymnasiums, etc..., for The One.  The one who has something special, that little extra, that IT!


I can honestly say, I have a good eye for that “It,” and for the most part my initial observation of the athlete proves to be true.  One way or another that athlete will show some skill, talent, or leadership quality that proves he or she is special.


While I choose to think I am a good judge of talent; you have to wonder then, “well how good is God at assessing my abilities?”  


Many people naturally minimize, under appreciate, and overlook excellent qualities in other; but in a greater measure, a person tends to minimize, under appreciate, and overlook the excellent qualities in THEMSELVES.  When we wake up and look in the mirror we almost certainly see our scars and blemishes first before we can appreciate how beautiful we really are.  We spend more time thinking about how to fix something wrong with us, instead of appreciating all the things that have gone right with us.  WE NEED TO CHANGE THIS!


Based upon the bible we have a number of reasons to feel like we are special.  I know we may not do things special all the time, but none of the best athletes in the world have  great games every time they play.  I know you make mistakes, but Michael Jordan has missed more game winning shots than he’s made.  I know you can’t see it, but Christ can!  Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior has always seen something special in us and that’s why He’s called us.


3 Points to knowing that you are special:

Jesus sees it in you:  When Jesus called four of His disciples (his students), it says He saw.  This leads me to believe that He saw something in them, that spurred Him on to ask them to leave their businesses to follow Him.  He had seen others people, engaged with them, but with with these four men, He was something in them.  Mark1:16; 19

He chose you: We got to the school of our choice or preference, we pick our professors, and we can even drop the course if we don’t like it. But not the case with Jesus.  He told His disciples, “you didn’t not choose Me, but I chose You.”  Man that is  an awesome thought, to know He saw something special in me and picked me to be on His team.  John 15:16a

He has appointed you:  There is a point that Christ meant for your life and existence.  Jesus created you distinctly, and uniquely your qualities to be used here on earth to help others, and to bear Godly fruit.  He says, “I appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain.” John 15:16b


To any of my friends that may not know Him, or even believe this about yourself, I think the reason why you are reading this far is because you can resinate with the “greatness trapped inside of you” although you have not let it all the way out.  


Never forget the greatest judge of talents and gifts is the One who chose YOU!  If no one else sees that IT in you, rest to sure that your creator (who is living and active) does.


YOU HAVE THAT IT!!!!


Bless You!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes it's hard for me to look at myself, inside and out, yet see something beautiful. At other times I have felt that I am covered so much in sin that HOW can I possibly find beauty among the sin? However, thank goodness that God is loving and forgiving! Though it is seldomly difficult for me to see beauty in me, it has to be there because I am still here... He chose me! God reserved greatness for me and I am here to experience it. Thanks for the encouragement... it is good to be reminded because I tend to forget! *smile*